Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday Night Videos on an Early Saturday morning, and Riding the #1 train...

It's Friday. Time to think about all the things that happened this week. So many things, the perfectionist in me couldn't keep up. Although the ball fumbled a bit, I managed to pick it back up.

OK, enough bullshit analogies.

I haven't done Friday Night Videos because frankly, I hadn't been inspired by much. But before we get into all that, I'd like to enter a new series into the mix, entitled, "On the Number 1 Train."

This train is a shitty one. THE WHOLE WORLD rides this train...seems there must be 4 million people that live between South Ferry and 242 St. - Van Cortlandt Park...and about 2 million going to work in between these stops. Some of them are floaters from the east. Getting off at 42nd Street means all of that...and tourists.

But there were two signifigant conversations that happened with two fathers and their daughters that happened right next to me.

On Thursday, there was a little girl whose father was reading to her...it was a Dr. Seuss book. She was about 5 and pretty good at it, but after I pulled out my iPhone, she got a little distracted. The purple gloves and purple iPhone case are also a big hit with little girls.

Her dad was patient...I was impressed. He helped her with colors, stopped and asked her what types of animals were in the pictures...it wasn't just about reading the words to her. And she was super smart. I felt proud he was a black dad doing this at 8:53 AM.

Then she started singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" in the cutest kid voice, followed by "Old McDonald." While I was sitting there playing BeJeweled 2 trying to not think about all I had to do, she was singing without a care in the world. A friendly reminder about why I love kids so much.

At 96th Street, she got off the train. I don't know why, but she waved and said "Byeee!" to me, so I said it right back. It was a nice start to the day, and I was OK with the 1 train.

Unfortunately, the story above that probably makes you want to throw up in your mouth a little bit is normally not my experience. Today the dad I saw was bashing the little girl's mom...she was about 8. He proceeded to tell her about her mom's drug problems, and how she will never stop because she loves to smoke. It was loud enough for all to hear...and I couldn't believe it...keeping it real parenting? Did I miss something in a Parenting magazine?

A completely different conversation between a father and daughter...pretty wierd but gave me a lot to ponder.

Overall, the 1 Train sucks...I am sure there are more stories to come, because that train is really too much sometimes.

Onto the videos:


Alanis Morisette - "Ironic"



I love this song and album and anyone who knew me in HS knows this...and I mean knows me...

Alanis Morissette - "Perfect"




She never made a video for this one, so sorry for the corny ass screensaver show, but this song is dope as hell...someone needs to make it over...hmmm.

xoxo,
Black Daria

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.