Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Black Daria Photo Journal: Jadakiss @ Highline Ballroom, April 8, 2009

OK, OK...I know it was last week and all, but hey, I am a busy girl...so let's just get to it, shall we?

I got a last minute email I couldn't refuse regarding a Photo Pass event at Highline Ballroom for Jadakiss, except there were a couple of issues, like whether I would be allowed as PRESS or not...well, Tasha Stoute of The Chamber Group came through for me, and granted me "one photo press pass" to go see one of my favorite rappers...thanks T. :)

Much to my chagrin, I'd been listening to Jadakiss earlier that day on Power 105.1 (my routine since Hot 97 went left by syndicating Big Boy's neighborhood to NYC...losers.) so getting this email seemed like some place I wanted to be...

He impressed me not only with his retail marketing expertise, but the basic rules of what it means to "hold 'em, fold 'em, turn around and when to run"...more importantly, he understands that WOMEN actually buy rap albums, other Gay Fishes (HA!) out there tend to forget that but that's another blog post.

Damn, sorry...tangent.

So the album is called The Last Kiss (first choice was Kiss My Ass, but that's not really Walmart/Kmart friendly, per Jada). Smart guy. Why there? Well remember, brick and mortar record stores are going buh-bye...weekly.

***Editors Note: Since the album was released, The Last Kiss over 134K units per XXL.com.

GETTING TO THE SHOW...ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE...

There were a couple of issues prior...had a meeting that kept "starting in 15 minutes," and turned into an hour later...which then put me an hour behind and forced me to do some magic tricks to get back uptown, change into sneakers, and find my Nikon S60 (I love my camera; hopefully someone from Nikon is reading this right now...) to get back to my office (forgot my Precious Priceless, also known as my iPhone) and then hop in a cab to get to the Highline ballroom. That was a severe run-on sentence, but it gives you the feeling of what I was going through, so deal.

So at 9:00 PM exactly, I reach the corner of 16th street and 9th avenue, and run towards the doors...normally I am with talent, and getting in an event is a breeze (well depending if your client is an A-lister or Z-lister, but that's another story). Because I was getting there kinda late, I had to deal with the lemons I were dealt...and I am going as the writer...different hat to wear.

First problem: No VIP passes left...not their fault, as I would not have needed to worry about that if I had cancelled the meeting earlier that evening, but it was too late for hindsight...so I always have a few magic tricks, and I pulled them to not only get in faster, but get the passes I was supposed to get, which kinda pissed this girl next to me off, but hey, not my fault you weren't being aggressive.

Well, somebody else was impressed, because he just started talking to me and it turned out he'd heard of my blog...I didn't think anyone except the 12 followers knew, as I haven't formally announced myself to the world, but I guess some editor knew about me because it was his editor that mentioned his blog to me...damn, Black Daria, it's like that?

Too bad I couldn't hear the name of the magazine he worked for or the name of the editor...but now we are Facebook friends, so I'll see what he's about soon...let the photo journal begin:

Walk in and run to the bar to grab a beer, not realizing if I wait 5 minutes, the young lady with the VIP bands would suddenly find more to distribute...oh well, I supported financially.

Bump into Terrance Jennings, he's one of my favorites in the photo world...


Get up to VIP, and it's a Mob scene with at least 100 up there...so my first shot (Black Daria can't hire any photographers right now...) is a little shaky...


Well, it was my fault I got there when I did...and when I arrived, I also noticed the banners for Myspace.com and Hot 97...so I knew I was in for a good show because this is basically a true fan base, which gives a show a whole different energy than a "press only event." But, yeah, that's Jadakiss in the white t-shirt. I'm wayyyyy in the back of the VIP, but my Nikon S60 just zooms right on in...artistic shots, I call these...He's doing it up at this point, and it feels like a concert from back in '95 that you snuck into...dope like that.

Jada got a lot of support from special guests like Swizz Beats, Busta Rhymes along with Hot 97's own Angie Martinez as one of the hosts (think there were maybe two, but she's the one I remember). Jadakiss really hit me in my heart with the line about the Coogi sweater still hanging up in his closet...


The crowd was THICK in VIP...so hence the first artistic shot. This one is cool too because the Exit light looks dope-like in the corner to the top right (I like to critique my own shit sometimes; you can talk amongst yourselves or dial-back with a comment).

Kinda climbed over someone (I really was not playing) and got this shot...

Remembering my good ol' Nikon is also a video recorder...I had to get at least one song, so here ya go, very raw, uncut and REAL (be gentle now, I couldn't hire a videographer for the evening, there's a recession going on):




And then I see..."Battery Exhausted." The Nikon is done for the night, and so am I...like now.


xoxo,
Black Daria

3 comments:

LITTLE BLACK BOY BLUES said...

I enjoyed this...great read. Didn't realize there is so much backstage drama at these events.

black daria said...

I've got stories for days...weeks even ;) xoxo, Black Daria

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.