Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Missing Aaliyah :(

Such a pretty face, with a spirit that matched. Never met her, but remembering the show Biorhythm on MTV back in 2001, and the music to the story of her life that led up to her final journey and eventual homegoing on August 25...it still bothers me. For many reasons...I think it was because she was my age, and I felt the loss hard. I woke up on the morning of her funeral and began to cry...in tears. My boyfriend at the time consoled me, probably thinking he was going to leave my ass by at least October, but I knew in my heart that this just wasn't right. It wasn't supposed to happen like this.

And then September 11 happened...a day none of us forget who lived in NYC...and pretty soon, we approached Aaliyah's first birthday that wouldn't be shared with us that January, and soon after, Damon Dash met Rachel Roy...the rest, they say, is just history.

To her family and particularly her brother Rashad, whom I always remember her bring up in just about any interview, was a testiment to her love for her family...and that just made it worse.

Some may say she wasn't the best singer, but it wasn't about that to me. She grew up in front of us without the scandals that maybe if blogs existed in the nature they do today, would have been another one of those girls...maybe Aaliyah's death saved her from that particular type of life no celebrity enjoys living...they still try to live off of her marriage to R. Kelly...would she have been as graceful 8 years later if a blogger told the story?

All I know is Aaliyah's death that Sunday woke me up from the life as I knew it...changed my way of thinking for a couple of weeks.

Can't believe it's been 8 years. RIP Aaliyah.






xoxo,
Black Daria

2 comments:

Courtney Brown said...

You never know how much you liked someone till there gone, I'd take her over ______anyday!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.