Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dear Biggie...

13 years ago, I was sitting on my bed at school, in shock when I saw Kurt Loder (or was it Sway?), and your face with those numbers across the screen.

I'd just finished my first semester at school, and was into my second. I'd listened to 'Ready to Die' as a "top 10 way to get back to New York while being on a desolate campus where I was the only black girl on my floor..."

But not the only fan you had. But you already know that.

So much so, the following year, I was elected House President. And that year, the house theme song was "All About the Benjamins," and the part that was always the best was your verse.

I couldn't hit them in the head with "Warning," so forgive me, for this was the best I could do on a racially-challenged campus. Yeah, that sounds good.

Fast forward to about two years later, and I landed an Internship that pretty much changed my life. I witnessed life after your death, and the ripple effects that can occur when the Flagship of the brand is Deceased. Many brands don't even make it past such occurences. Aaliyah comes to mind when I think of brands that suffer from tragedy. I'm sure you two kick it often.
In the meantime, I thought I'd play this song today in your memory. It's befitting of the times we are living in, and a message all of us need to hear: sky is the limit...now, more than ever.

Biggie Smalls Sky's the Limit- Watch more Videos at Vodpod.


xo,
Black Daria ;/

No comments: