Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dear Mr. McGruder...



Dear Mr. McGruder,

Thank you for responding to the recent posts regarding your feelings about President Obama. It's nice to know that you felt moved to do something, since I am still waiting for the third (or fourth?) season of the Boondocks. I would also like you to know that you are very damn cute, but I need to get some things off my chest like a professional blogger, and not some pseudo-groupie.

I'd like to state that while Barack may not be African-American, we can't ignore that American society breaks us into classes based upon looks, and an immigrant, Barack does not "look." I say this due to the stereotypical nature of the people, although the 2 million people who stood on the lawn last Tuesday kinda begin to tell us otherwise.

They tell us that we are all in the same gang together, and that if not for them, we couldn't appreciate your type of humor...well, at least some of us. I don't think it's that easy to dismiss Obama's race or heritage, when we know that in American society, both immigrants and minorities have faced their own prejudices that wouldn't allow for the amazing transformation that took place on January 20, 2009. President Obama's term will be challenging for all Americans. I agree, the raping of Americans by many whom held our future in their hands is a task that not just one man can bear to repair alone. I do challenge you to tell me what you are doing to help Obama, as he's requested all of our help.

Allow me to elaborate. There was a young lady who I'd always see in the mornings going to work; she used to hand me my AM/NY paper along with all my other reads I scan on a daily basis. A few weeks later, she was outside my job, on a smoke break with a friend, complaining about her job at McDonalds. She wants something better, but she didn't know where to begin.

I could have judged her from the start. By no means are we from the same socio-economic background...but we happen to live one block away from each other, and when I ran into her the other night, she was holding an eviction notice, and looking quite hopeless.

I couldn't offer her much, but I did give her a good meal, and we talked for about an hour. Another friend stopped by, and I got the feeling that by the end of the conversation, we had done what Obama had asked of us. I am not sure if she will use the information I give her on Monday to get a new job. What I do know is that while the criticism of American practice must not cease, those of us with a voice must SPEAK. When you go to these schools, what are you talking about? Why have you been so silent, and what are you proposing?

I only ask because I feel that unbeknownst to you, you may very well hold some of the answers we need to not only help Obama, but practice your first amendment rights and give us an installment of the Boondocks that helps to understand your perspective. You've definitely given us your perspective, but are there any solutions you can provide?

Just asking.

Signed,
Black Daria :/

P.S. My penmanship is of course nothing like that above, giving you a very Perez Hilton kind of feeling. By no means am I a biter, I just wanted you to know how I felt. Between you and Chuck Bass, there's room for full potential to be my man. Waiting for your call response.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.